Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Goodbye Newlyweds!

Yep...we made it to our 2 year mark, which means we are no longer newlyweds! As most of you can relate, in looking back over the past 2 years, sometimes it seems like the time flew past and other times it seems like we've been through so much that there is no way it only took 2 years for it all to happen! One thing is for sure, as time passes, our love, appreciation, and understanding of each other definitely grows.

As mentioned in my birthday blog, Kuso is in Wyoming working. Yep...every year I'll get to go to Wyoming to celebrate my birthday and anniversary. So I headed up after work on Friday (the day OF my birthday.) It works out well that by the time I get off work, go to the bank and fill up the car, I get to the hotel about the same time he gets back to his room. This weekend did not work out that way.

I'm cruising along I-80 eastbound (well, not cruising as my cruise control is broken which is vital information for this story.) I look in my rear view and see the red and blues. Crap. I pull to the side HOPING he would pass me. No such luck...he pulls right up behind me.
Cop: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "Nope." (I know....stupid answer.)
Cop: "Where you headed?"
Me: "Rock Springs."
Cop: "What takes you there?"
Me: "My husband works out of town so I'm going to visit him for my birthday." (Bonus! I got to throw in that my husband is out of town AND it's my birthday...he should feel bad for me right?)
Cop proceeds to take my license, insurance, and registration and comes back.

WITH A TICKET! Apparently I was going 88 in a 75. Well, when you are driving through the straights of Wyoming with broken cruise control and the only other vehicles on the road are semis, it's hard to gauge how fast you are really going without staring at your speedometer... which if you did, your eyes wouldn't be on the road. I wasn't darting in and out of traffic to get around people...I was just driving in a straight line. Ok...I'll be accountable for my actions and admit that I was speeding, but come on...he can't even drop it down? NOPE. Got the full price 10+ over the speed limit ticket...ON MY BIRTHDAY!

After he left I thought I should have thrown the pregnancy card at him and told him I was trying to get to the next rest stop (25 miles away) because I had to use the bathroom...oh well.

THEN...I get to Rock Springs a little after 7:30 pm. Kuso usually gets to his room around 7:30. I didn't see the work van, so I called his phone to make sure he wasn't in his room. No answer. I sit. I call back 20 minutes later. No answer. I sit. I proceed to call his phone every 10 minutes for the next hour and 20 minutes. FINALLY at 9:05 pm he calls. They had just got off work. By this time I was steaming mad. I was SO irritated. He gets back to the hotel at 9:25ish. (I couldn't go relax in the room because we were going to use his work assigned room, so I didn't have a key.) I had been sitting in my car an additional 2 hours after I had made the drive from Salt Lake....on my birthday.

Anyway, he finally gets a chance to explain that he didn't call to let me know they were working late because he can't take his phone in the plant with them, and they didn't even take a break. They just kept working. So I start to simmer down. We were supposed to go out to dinner to celebrate my birthday. I look into his eyes and the poor guy is so exhausted his eyes are bloodshot red. I had brought him a plate of food so I told him to just take a shower and eat that while I went to Burger King drive thru. To top it all...the food was old and chewy. Gross. So, yeah, it was a fun birthday.

Then Saturday we "celebrated" our anniversary by going to eat at the fine dining establishment of Golden Corral. We were going to take in a movie, but again, he was so wiped out, it wasn't worth it. I think we will put more emphasis on celebrating our "temple anniversary" than our civil anniversary...it's in August when he isn't so busy!

Despite all the "hiccups" over the weekend, it was worth it to be able to spend a few hours together.

2 comments:

HeRoosSheRoos said...

What a crap-o-la birthday/anniversary. I hope next year is MUCH better!

Kaitlin said...

CRAPPY! at least you made it safely and were WITH your husband one your bday and anny!