Sunday, June 21, 2009

Youth Conference

Friday and Saturday were Youth Conference. We left Friday morning and headed out to Ephraim. We stayed in the dorms at Snow College (scary.) The girls side was full, so Jenie (our YW President) and I had to stay in the boys hallway. It actually ended up being a blessing since we heard several of the girls were up until 3am or later!

Friday after lunch, it was "Fun in the Sun" day. Luckily for us, it was actually sunny. Non-stop rain for the past 2 weeks left us all a little skeptical, but Friday turned out to be a great day. It was a field full of water activities...slip and slides, balloon toss, tug-o-war, crab soccer, etc all involving water. Due to my deformed body, I had the pleasure of watching it all. But none the less, it was still quite entertaining.

I had to choose between a sunburn and mosquito bites. As we noticed we were getting a little pink, we moved into the shade, only to be attacked by mosquitoes. I chose the sun. At least when the burn goes away, there will be some color left. When the bites go away, I'll be left with nothing (if not an awesome scab scar from scratching!!!)


Friday night we went into Manti to watch the Mormon Miracle Pageant. It's an amazing performance. Last time I saw it, I was probably 7 or so. We went with our Young Adult group around 2002, but when we got there, it was rainy and crappy, so we left. So this is the first time I actually understood what was going on. It's a great tribute to the life of Joseph Smith and encompasses some of the stories from the Book of Mormon.

Utah has a unique connection to the Book of Mormon. Moroni actually knelt on the hill where the Manti Temple was built and dedicated the land for the building of a temple. Despite the outrageous rattlesnake problem (at the time...not so bad anymore...at least IN town), the land was established and came to be what it was dedicated for. Kind of cool.

Saturday we had some spiritual classes over at the Institute building. A brief testimony meeting followed. I love to hear the testimonies of the youth. Most of them are so sincere and it's amazing to watch them develop their own testimonies away from their parents. After the testimony meeting, we headed up to Spanish Fork to have lunch and games at a park. Then we were back home Saturday evening.

Although I came home EXTREMELY exhausted and with silly swollen feet/ankles, it was a great experience, and I'm glad I decided to go. Building relationships with the youth in our ward and stake is so beneficial in building my own testimony.

1 comment:

Grandma Neener said...

Some of my favorite experiences were things that I did with the youth as I served in YW. I get jealous sometimes when I hear of the fun things that the youth in various areas are doing.