Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Leila Update

Leila girl...you are 4 1/2 years old now.  You came with us to Sinave's one year update and wanted to "see how big you are."  You are 48 pounds, but we didn't get a height measurement.  You wear size 5 pants, and size 6 shirt in most cases.  You also wear size 10 shoes.  You have long, thick, shiny hair, and always say "I can't cut my hair...only Hadlee's mom can cut my hair."  I'm hoping you remember this lesson throughout your life and we won't have to deal with you wanting to cut your own.

You are taking dance class from my friend, Niki Moleni.  You are doing a dance to "You Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story and "Under the Sea" from Little Mermaid.  At first, you were a little hesitant, but now you look forward to class.  You recently started telling me that I don't need to walk you in, you can go in by yourself....and just wait for you until you come outside by yourself.

You are an amazing big sister 90% of the time.  You go out of your way to entertain Sinave, make him laugh, help me keep him safe (doors closed, gate on the stairs secured) and "leave me alone" while I try to get him to sleep.  But at other times you close him out of your room so you don't have to be bothered.

You had your first cavity, and filling.  The dentist was impressed with how well you handled the procedure. 

You are learning how to clean up...the way I would want it done.  Not just pushing things to the side, but actually putting everything away and making it "nice and neat."  The other night (after I yelled at you - which I do all to often because I have minimal patience) you went in your room, cleaned it well, then told me that we "still need to vacuum."  I love to see that your standard of clean is up to my standards.

You are SUPER stubborn (hence all of my yelling at times....I really am trying to work on that though.)  We are working on developing your reasoning skills.

You are hilarious.  Here are some of the recent funny stories.

You have an amazing memory.  After Sinave's birthday, you remembered that my birthday was next.  You asked about it, and when was yours coming?  So I used my fingers to start listing off the order of the upcoming family member's birth dates.  I got to "Grandma" (which was my middle finger) and continued listing a few other people.  I closed my hand and went to the 6th person which was you.  You said "wait, wait, wait" while waving your hands and told me to "go back."  So I put my hand back up to show all five fingers up.  You said "Can I sit next to grandma?" and put your pointer finger next to my middle finger so that you and grandma were "sitting next to each other." 

"Mom, I love you when you go to work."  This made me laugh because you always want to be at grandma's house, without me. 

"Mom, are those cars driving too fast?" 
"No.  Why?"
In a defeated tone..."I want the police to give them a ticket."

You frequently change your name to "Elsa" (the girl from the Disney movie Frozen.)  You tell me that your name is "Elsa Leila Aiono." 

You "play" different animals, or act like a lost kid.  Which is fine.  Except for you TELL ME what to say.  "Mom, pretend that I'm the last pet at the store and you say 'Dad, can we keep her?'"  Then I say that.  Then you tell me MORE words to say.  It's annoying.  I'm anxiously looking forward to when Sinave can reciprocate play time more and you can interact with him in dialogue rather than telling me what you want to be said.

You threw a "surprise" party for me...in the bathtub.  You told me that you and Sinave were ready to get out of the bathtub.  I went to the bathroom and you had shut the shower curtain, then opened it and yelled "Surprise!  It's a naked party for you!"  Thanks honey.

You are still a flirtatious girl.  But only with people you feel safe with.  Usually it's family members, or friends of family members. 

A few weeks ago at church, you looked at your friend Ethan Martinez (who is about 6 months younger than you) and said "Wow mom. Ethan is really growing up."  The funny thing about this is that you made a similar comment about 6 months ago.  It was such an adult thing to say.

You are still a picky eater, but your eating habits are improving. 

You are now being babysat by "Auntie Leitu." (daddy's cousin.) Malachi (Laki's and Lucy's son - 3 years old) lives at the home.  You call him "Makai" because you want to.  Auntie Lucy tells me how funny you are with Malachi.  You help Malachi listen to his mother.  You play well with him. 

You can throw a wicked tantrum (and it only happens when you are tired or hungry - or being woken up earlier than you want to be.)

Despite all of your stubborn behaviors, and the occasional tantrum, you are a sweet, loving, beautiful girl with so much potential...I can't wait to see what the future holds for you

No comments: